Monday, February 25, 2008

The ball - an update.........

Hi guys, apologies for yet another delayed post. Had serious technical issues all of last week so wasnt able to get online, hence no blogging. You know what I realized last week? I get withdrawal symptoms when I havent blogged in a while. This blogging thing is becoming a lifeline of sorts for me- like my sanctuary in the midst of the chaos that is Lagos...

Anyways, so on to what y'all have been waiting for! LOL!! The ball was really nice. I had a blast! The dress code was "a touch of silver" but I wasnt dress-code compliant. In fact, I was a renegade in my burnt orange and bronze number - lol!! But I think I looked nice :-) My date looked great. He picked me up at 8 on the dot and I have to say I did a near double-take when I saw him. He turned out in a black pin-striped suit with a white shirt and silver tie - very sharp! I hadnt seen him in a while so I guess I'd forgotten just how cute he is... The good news is that he DEFINITELY did a double-take when he saw me, so I guess the equation was nicely balanced. Lollll.

When we got to the venue, we had to walk up a red carpet to get into the hall. There were photographers everywhere with their cameras flashing incessantly. I hate that, I really do. I find it so invasive... But moving on. We eventually got into the hall and it was very beautifully decorated. Immediately set us in "romantic" mode... An usher showed us to our seats and within seconds a waiter appeared to ask us what we would like to drink. Plenty "effizy". lol. There was a 3-course dinner, although I didnt eat much cause I wasnt really hungry. During dinner, we were serenaded with live music from a number of singers, including Timi, West African Idols champ. He has a powerful voice, I must say. He also has a rather nasty scar on his forehead - heard he was attacked by militants in the Niger Delta area recently. I had no idea... Other entertainment included a stand-up comedian who was simply hilarious! After dinner, there was music from DJ Humility and plenty of dancing. All told, it was a very nice event.

But I'm sure you want the nitty-gritty, not all this clinical gist I've been giving :-) So here's the 411: my date & I had a great time together. We were very into each other that night, if you know what I mean. A lot of hand-holding, meaningful looks, that sort of thing... In retrospect, I'm not sure it was such a good idea to be so touchy-feely with him in such a public forum because anyone watching us would have assumed that we are an item, but we arent... We have been hanging out since then though, so we'll see how it goes. I think we're both being cautious because we have history. You know how that is...

So that's the update. It was nice to spend the evening with someone who so obviously cares about me. No demands, no drama, just companionship. It was very nice...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why am I grinning from ear to ear, like I was the one that went to the ball? Thanks for the clinical gist and the nitty-gritty :) I'm glad you had fun. Nothing like a no-strings-attached outing with the opposite gender every once in a while. Wish we could see a photo of you in the burnt orange dress but I guess that would be outing you.

kemikalreactions said...

@Chanteuse: you are absolutely right about the no-strings attached outing. Properly executed, it works wonders for a single woman's ego ;-)

Re: your request for a photo - I don't think so!!!!! Use your imagination instead. lolll